Artists / Moscow State Art and Industry Academy named after Stroganov
Stroganov Moscow State University of Arts and Industry informally named Stroganovka is one of the oldest Russian schools for the industrial, monumental and decorative art and design. The University is named after its founder, baron Sergei Grigoriyevich Stroganov.
The school was founded in 1825 by Baron Sergey Stroganov. It specialised on the applied and decorative art. In 1843 the school became state-owned. In 1860 it was renamed Stroganov School for Technical Drawing.
After the October Revolution the school was reorganized and became a part of the State Free Art Shops (Государственные Свободные Художественные Мастерские), Vkhutemas and Vkhutein. Since 1930 it is Moscow Institute for the Decorative and Applied Arts (Московский Институт Декоративного и Прикладного Искусства), MIDIPI (МИДИПИ). In 1945, after the end of the World War II the school was restored as an applied art educational establishment. In 1996 the school got its present name Stroganov Moscow State University of Arts and Industry.