Artists / State Memorial Museum of Leningrad Defense and Siege
The history of The State Memorial Museum of Leningrad Defense and the Siege began in December 1943 when the military Council of Leningrad Front adopted the decision to organize the exhibition "Heroic Defense of Leningrad".
Within a short period of time a great deal of work was done by artists architects, historians, many of whom were especially commissioned from the active sections of the front. The exhibition was open on the 30th of April 1944, and in January 1946 it was reorganized as the Museum of Leningrad Defense. The exhibits of the museum, numbered 37 654 pieces, were exposed in 37 halls the total area of which was about 40000 m2.