Artists / Udmurt State University
Udmurt State University is the oldest educational institution in the Udmurt Republic. It was originally established as Udmurt State Pedagogical Institute in 1931. Prior to the World War II the Institutes main goal was defining the key elements of its organizational structure. UdSPI have grown tremendously after the end of the war, and by 1958 the Institute opened its own Graduate School with several Ph.D. awarding committees.
The institution has evolved and expanded substantially in the 1960s; it ranked among top ten Soviet institutions of its class. As a result, in April 1971 Udmurt State Pedagogical Institute officially became Udmurt State University.