Artists / Drouot
The Hôtel Drouot was inaugurated on 1 June 1852. From 1976 to 1980, while its present building was being constructed, sales took place in the former Gare d’Orsay. In 2000, reform of the monopolistic French auction laws, regulated through the system of commissaires-priseurs, opened Drouot up to international competition. It is now owned by a subsidiary of BNP Paribas.
Hôtel Drouot is a large auction house in Paris, known for fine art, antiques, and antiquities. It consists of 16 halls hosting 70 independent auction firms, which operate under the umbrella grouping of Drouot.